Thursday, March 25, 2010

Midlife Crisis

What a cliche, I always thought. A midlife crisis. Spare me. Doesn't it suck how so many things we always tossed off as ridiculous come back later to bite us in the ass?

Okay, so it isn't easy when you wake up one day and realize you are among the oldest in your work environment. When you realize the cute guy you instinctively check out is young enough to be your son. But I digress....

The real issue isn't in the looking forward. No, the issue is trying to keep yourself from looking back. The 'what ifs?" The road not taken. I am not a particularly retrospective person, but lately, I find I am a bit obsessed with decades past. It is indeed a slipperly slope and probably not a healthy one. Is it inevitable that this nostalgia head trip happens, or can it be avoided? Just for the record, The Big Chill is not as great a movie as I remembered it to be. I imagine that is the same for our memories. If we could go back, it would probably not change anything. Our choices, for better or for worse, are the ones that are right for that time. But I guess I will still pay the $$ to see what I anticipate will be the next Big Chill, for our time. Hot Tub Time Machine, here I come. A fine film!

No comments: