Monday, July 13, 2009

The Break Up

Okay, I now understand how it feels to be stalked. I am being stalked by Curves - -a workout circuit for women. Maybe I was not blessed with the commitment gene, but the way I look at it, this is a business transaction. They have my credit card number and I have the opportunity to get to their workout site in the LIMITED hours they are open. I knew the hours of operation before I joined, and I accepted the fact that if work got busy or my life got busy, the hours of the day might be filled with those things and I might miss Curves time. I was okay with this "open" relationship.



Well, evidently, Curves is not. First came the post card, asking where I was and if everything was okay. Excuse me? I only missed one week! And have only belonged three weeks. If you saved on printing and postage, you might be able to keep the damn place open more hours and I could get there after a long day at work. Or on a Saturday after noon. Or, on a Sunday.



Today the phone calls started. It is kind of pitiful. I never went into this intending to make a huge commitment. I was happy with the relationship as I viewed it -- enjoyable here and there, no ties, no binds. I mean, they have my financial commitment, right? But right away, within three weeks, the whining , the post cards, the phone calls.....what next? A private investigator?



I am an adult. I feel comfortable with my choices and if these choices include trips to Curves, or not, I think I can handle the consequences. I don't need "exercise friends" or "support calls" or anything other than the business transaction I entered into. We'll see how it goes. I may have to break up with Curves and forge a more relaxed relationship with the YMCA - -it is right down the street, about the same price, and has better hours for "lose the booty" calls.

No comments: